Dosing InformationThere is only one standard recommended dose of Prepidil. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Prepidil Dosage for more information.)
Side Effects of PrepidilJust like any medicine, Prepidil may cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well.
If reactions do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects of Prepidil include but are not limited to:
- Fetal stress (an abnormal fetal heart rate)
- Abnormal uterine contractions
- Abdominal (stomach) or intestinal problems, such as diarrhea
- Back pain.
(Click Prepidil Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)
Drug InteractionsPrepidil is unlikely to react with most other medicines (see Prepidil Drug Interactions).
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk with your healthcare provider prior to receiving this medication if you have:
- Had vaginal bleeding during your pregnancy
- Had a cesarean section (C-section) in the past
- Had difficult labor or delivery in the past
- Had major surgery on your uterus
- Any disease or condition that affects your uterus
- Given birth six or more times when the baby was not in the usual position (head down)
- Genital herpes
- Asthma or have ever had asthma, even as a child
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are breastfeeding (see Prepidil and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Prepidil Warnings and Precautions to learn more, including information on who should not receive the drug.)