Prenatal Vitamin Overdose
It is possible to overdose on prenatal vitamins. Overdose symptoms may include dizziness, seizures, and vomiting. You should seek immediate medical attention if you believe you have taken too much of a prenatal vitamin. Treatment options for a prenatal vitamin overdose may include administering certain medications, pumping the stomach, or treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
An Introduction to Prenatal Vitamin OverdoseAs with other vitamin and mineral supplements, it is possible to take too much of a prenatal vitamin. The specific effects of a prenatal vitamin overdose can vary depending on a number of factors, including the particular type of prenatal vitamin, the dosage, and whether it was taken with other medications or substances.
Dangerous Effects of a Prenatal Vitamin OverdoseAn overdose on a prenatal vitamin is likely to cause bothersome symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation. Fortunately, these are not usually life-threatening problems. However, prenatal vitamins almost always contain iron, and taking too much iron can be very dangerous (especially for young children) and may result in iron poisoning. Symptoms of iron poisoning may include:
- Blue lips and fingernails
- Pale skin
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Fluid in the lungs
- Nausea and vomiting
- Metallic taste
- Fever and chills
- Black and, possibly, bloody stools
Because children cannot handle much iron, prenatal vitamins should be stored out of the reach of children. Be especially careful with chewable prenatal vitamins, as these may be especially attractive to a young child.