Diarrhea During Pregnancy
Suggestions for Dealing With Diarrhea During PregnancyAny pregnant woman who experiences diarrhea should talk to her healthcare provider. There are some suggestions he or she may recommend that can help a pregnant woman reduce symptoms as her body fights the infection. Such suggestions may include the following:
- Drink plenty of fluids. Fluids are the most effective treatment for preventing dehydration in pregnant women. By drinking fluids, such as oral rehydration fluids (ORF), juice, or water, pregnant women can reduce their chance of becoming dehydrated. Sports drinks do not replace the nutrients and minerals lost during this illness. Special fluids used for oral rehydration can be found in most pharmacies or grocery stores and can be purchased without a prescription.
- If diarrhea or vomiting is severe, you should visit your doctor. In severe cases (such as those requiring a visit to the emergency room or hospitalization) treatment may involve replacing body fluids directly through the veins using an intravenous (IV) line.
- Allow your gastrointestinal tract to settle by not eating for a few hours.
- Gradually reintroduce food, starting with bland, easy-to-digest food, like toast, broth, apples, bananas, and rice.
- Avoid dairy products and caffeine.
- Get plenty of rest.