8 Weeks Pregnant
Your Baby's Development at Week 8 of Pregnancy
During your eighth week of pregnancy, your baby will likely begin developing webbed fingers and toes.
As your baby's heart becomes more fully developed, it will pump at approximately 150 beats a minute, which is about twice the usual adult rate. The following developments also typically occur during the eighth week of pregnancy:
- The leg buds divide into thigh, leg, and foot units
- The arm buds divide into hand, arm, elbow, and shoulder units
- The arms and legs move
- Cartilage and bones begin to form
- Eyelids begin to form
- The ears, upper lip, and tip of the nose become recognizable
- The tongue begins to develop
- The intestines grow so long that they start protruding into the umbilical cord
- Teeth develop under the gums
- The gonads (testes or ovaries) are forming
- Nerve fibers connect the olfactory lobe of the brain, laying groundwork for the sense of smell.