22 Weeks Pregnant
At this point in your pregnancy, your baby's brain and nerve endings are formed just enough so that the baby can feel touch! During week 22 of pregnancy, your baby may experiment with this newfound sense of touch by stroking his or her face or sucking on a thumb. Your baby may also begin to feel other body parts to see how they move.
Other fetal development that is occurring when you are about 22 weeks pregnant includes the following:
- The eyelids and eyebrows become well developed.
- The development of fingernails is completed.
- Taste buds have started to form on the tongue.
- For boys, testes have begun to descend from the abdomen to the scrotum.
- For girls, the uterus and ovaries are in place and the vagina is developed. At this point, a girl will have about 7 million eggs in her ovaries, which will drop down to about 2 million when she is born.
- The liver is starting to break down bilirubin, which is a substance found in red blood cells. Once broken down by the liver, bilirubin is removed from the body through the intestines.