Because PreCare contains iron, taking too much PreCare may lead to iron poisoning (which can be very dangerous). Symptoms of a PreCare overdose may include fluid in the lungs, seizures, and dehydration. The effects of the overdose will vary depending on how much PreCare was taken and if it was taken with other substances. Treatment for a PreCare overdose may include pumping the stomach, administering certain medications, and using supporting care.
An Introduction to PreCare OverdosePreCare Premium™ and PreCare® Chewables are prenatal vitamins that are only available by prescription. As with other multivitamins, it is possible to take too much PreCare. The specific effects of a PreCare overdose can vary depending on a number of factors, including the PreCare dosage and whether it was taken with other medications or substances.
(PreCare is no longer being manufactured and should no longer be sold in the United States. Please consult your healthcare provider for further information.)
Dangerous PreCare Overdose EffectsAn overdose on any multivitamin is likely to cause bothersome symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation. Fortunately, these are not usually life-threatening problems. However, PreCare products contain iron, and taking too much iron can be very dangerous (especially for young children) and may result in iron poisoning. Symptoms of iron poisoning may include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Blue lips and fingernails
- Pale skin
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Fluid in the lungs
- Fever and chills
- Black and, possibly, bloody stools
Because children cannot handle much iron, PreCare prenatal vitamins should be stored out of the reach of children.