Postpartum Depression Causes
There are many causes of postpartum depression. Some of the feelings that are common with this condition can be caused by:
- Hormonal changes
- Anxiety about taking care of a new baby
- Exhaustion from labor and lack of sleep
- Feeling overwhelmed with life's circumstances
- Having little or no help during the first few days after giving birth
- An emotional let-down following the experience of childbirth
- Previous mental illness or depression.
If you have previously been treated for depression, or have experienced postpartum depression before, you are at higher risk for developing postpartum depression.