In the event of an overdose with Makena (hydroxyprogesterone caproate), serious problems are unlikely. In fact, the most serious consequences would likely be financial in nature. This drug is expensive and cannot be obtained in pharmacies. An overdose could result in you needing a refill too soon, which could mean paying for a vial yourself.
Makena™ (hydroxyprogesterone caproate) is an injectable medication given weekly to pregnant women to help prevent repeat preterm births (giving birth to a baby too soon). As with most medications, it is probably possible to receive too much Makena. However, an overdose with this medication does not appear to be particularly dangerous.
During clinical trials, there were no cases of problems occurring due to overdoses with Makena. However, even if you suffer no health consequences from a Makena overdose, you will be left trying to figure out how to obtain (and afford) more. This drug is expensive and can only be obtained from the manufacturer, not from pharmacies.
If your insurance or Medicaid helps you pay for Makena, it will be very likely that they will not cover the medication if your refill is "too soon." You might end up needing to pay for a vial yourself, which can be expensive. If this situation occurs, it is best to contact the manufacturer directly and explain exactly what happened.
If the overdose occurred due to an error on the part of your healthcare provider, it is likely that they will be financially responsible for the problem.
Treatment will involve supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. If no symptoms occur, then no treatment will be necessary.
Nonetheless, it is very important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on any medication, including Makena.