Pregnancy Home > PrimaCare Overdose
As with all other medications and supplements, it is possible to take too much PrimaCare. Overdose symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, are usually not life-threatening. Since PrimaCare products contain iron, however, a PrimaCare overdose could cause iron poisoning, which could lead to dehydration, low blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and fluid in the lungs.
PrimaCare® and PrimaCare One are prenatal vitamins that are available only with a prescription. Just as with any other multivitamin, it is possible to take too much PrimaCare. The specific effects of a PrimaCare overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the PrimaCare dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Overdose with a multivitamin is likely to cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation. These problems are usually not life-threatening. However, PrimaCare products contain iron, and taking too much iron can be dangerous, especially for young children. Symptoms of iron poisoning can include:
- Blue lips and fingernails
- Pale skin
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Fluid in the lungs
- Fever and chills
- Black and possibly bloody stools
- Nausea and vomiting
- Metallic taste in the mouth
Because children cannot handle much iron, PrimaCare prenatal vitamins should be stored out of the reach of children.