Pregnancy Home > Prepidil Dosage
The recommended dosage of Prepidil for ripening the cervix is the same for every woman. A healthcare provider will administer 0.5 mg of Prepidil while you are lying down, and you must remain lying down for at least 15 to 30 minutes. A second dose may be given six hours later if needed; however, you should not be given more than three doses within a 24-hour period.
An Introduction to Dosing With PrepidilThere is only one standard recommended dose of Prepidil® (dinoprostone vaginal gel). As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Recommended Prepidil Dosage?The recommended Prepidil dosage for cervical ripening is 0.5 mg (the contents of one syringe). Your healthcare provider will administer the medication while you are lying down, and you will need to remain lying down for at least 15 to 30 minutes after the medication is given.
A second dose may be given if there has not been an adequate response to the first dose after six hours. Your healthcare provider will determine if you need additional doses. It is recommended that no more than three syringes (1.5 mg) be given in a 24-hour period.
Prepidil should be at room temperature before use. The gel should be naturally brought to room temperature without the use of heating baths or other heat sources.
General Information on Using PrepidilSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Prepidil include the following:
- This medication comes in gel form. The gel is inserted into the cervix using a syringe.
- Prepidil should only be given by a trained medical provider in a hospital setting.
- After the gel is inserted, you will need to remain lying down for at least 15 to 30 minutes to prevent the medication from leaking out.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Prepidil, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.