Pregnancy Home > Prenate DHA Overdose
As with all medications, there is a potential risk of overdosing on Prenate DHA. Overdose effects will vary depending on how much Prenate DHA was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. Prenate DHA contains iron, and taking too much iron can be very dangerous. Symptoms of iron poisoning may include vomiting, seizures, or black or bloody stools. There are several treatment options for a Prenate DHA overdose, including "pumping the stomach," administering certain medicines, and providing supportive care.
An Introduction to Prenate DHA OverdosePrenate DHA® is a prescription prenatal vitamin. As is the case with other multivitamins, it is possible to take too much Prenate DHA. The specific effects of a Prenate DHA overdose can vary depending on several factors, such as the Prenate DHA dosage and whether it was taken with any other substances or medicines.
Dangerous Prenate DHA Overdose EffectsAn overdose with Prenate DHA is likely to cause symptoms such as diarrhea (or constipation), nausea, and vomiting. Fortunately, these problems are not usually life threatening. However, Prenate DHA products contain iron, and taking too much iron can be very dangerous (especially for young children). Symptoms of iron poisoning may include:
- Black or bloody stools
- Nausea and vomiting
- Metallic taste in mouth
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Fluid in the lungs
- Fever and chills
- Blue lips and fingernails
- Pale skin
Because children cannot handle much iron, Prenate DHA prenatal vitamins should be stored out of the reach of children.