Pregnancy Home > 19 Weeks Pregnant
You are 19 weeks pregnant, and your baby has become a complex human being! Your baby is also getting a lot more active. Although he or she is still sleeping most of the time, there are periods of activity when your baby is kicking, turning, twisting, moving its arms, wiggling its fingers and toes, and punching. You still may not be able to feel any of these movements.
Other fetal development that is occurring when you are 19 weeks pregnant includes the following:
- Your baby is developing millions of motor neurons, which are nerves that connect the muscles to the brain
- Parts of the leg have now grown in proportion to the rest of the body
- Skin is developing and is transparent, appearing red because blood vessels are visible through it
- A creamy, white, protective coating called vernix (also known as vernix caseosa) begins to develop, which protects your baby's skin from its aquatic environment and helps prevent delicate skin from becoming chapped or scratched
- The placenta continues to grow and nourish the baby.