Pregnancy Home > PreferaOB Warnings and Precautions
Although PreferaOB can support increased nutritional needs in women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, it may not be an appropriate option for women with anemia or a bleeding disorder. There are also PreferaOB precautions and warnings for women who have certain allergies or those taking certain medications. To help minimize any complications, talk to your healthcare provider about any potential risks that may apply to you.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking PreferaOB® if you have:
- A bleeding disorder
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Specific Precautions and Warnings With PreferaOBSome warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking this vitamin include the following:
- Like all prenatal vitamins, PreferaOB contains folic acid that could mask certain types of anemia. This means it is difficult to determine if you have anemia from simple blood tests. If you do have anemia, talk to your healthcare provider before starting PreferaOB.
- PreferaOB+DHA™ and PreferaOB ONE™ (but not the basic PreferaOB formulation) contain the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). High doses of omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk for bleeding, including serious internal bleeding. Although this is not expected to be a problem with the doses of DHA found in PreferaOB, you should let your healthcare provider know if you have a bleeding disorder or if you notice any unusual bleeding or bruising while taking this vitamin.
- The iron found in PreferaOB can be fatal if consumed in large amounts by a child. In fact, iron poisoning is one of the leading causes of poisoning deaths in children younger than six years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. Seek immediate medical help if a child, or anyone, may have taken too much PreferaOB (see PreferaOB Overdose).
- PreferaOB may react with a number of other medications (see PreferaOB Drug Interactions).
- PreferaOB is usually considered safe for use in women who are nursing. PreferaOB ONE is specially formulated for use in breastfeeding women (see PreferaOB and Breastfeeding).