Pregnancy Home > Folic Acid Side Effects
While most people do not experience problems when taking folic acid, problems may occur if you take high doses of the vitamin. It is also possible to develop an allergic reaction while taking it. If taken in high doses, side effects of folic acid may include stomach cramps, gas and bloating, diarrhea, and problems sleeping.
- Abdominal (stomach) cramps
- Gas and bloating
- Problems sleeping
- Irritability, excitability, or hyperactivity
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Zinc deficiency
- Psychotic behavior
- Seizures (typically in people who already have a seizure disorder).
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.