Gestational Diabetes Sample Menu
Gestational Diabetes Sample Menu: Lunch
Cheese, tomato, and black bean pita with milk:
- 1 large whole-wheat pita
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup fresh tomato (chopped)
- 1 ounce low-fat sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 Tbsp. salsa
- 2 tsp. olive oil
Blend the last five ingrediants and place inside the pita. Serve with 8 fluid ounces nonfat skim milk.
Fat: 17.7 g; calories: 547; protein: 29.2 g
Grams carbohydrate: 71 g
Exchanges: 2.8 fat; 0.9 milk; 0.5 vegetable; 1.0 meat; 3.4 bread
Gestational Diabetes Sample Menu: Mid-Afternoon Snack
Apple and peanut butter:
- 1 medium apple with peel, cored and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 12 fluid ounces nonfat skim milk
Fat: 9.2 g; calories: 295; protein: 15.8 g
Grams carbohydrate: 41 g
Exchanges: 1.6 fat; 1.3 milk; 1.3 fruit; 0.4 meat
Gestational Diabetes Sample Menu: Dinner
Grilled chicken with pineapple, rice, and green beans:
- 3-ounce chicken breast (boneless/skinless, raw)
- 4 ounces pineapple rings, canned in juice
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil, dark
- 2 tsp. soy sauce, low-sodium
- 1/2 cup green beans, cooked
- 1/4 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 pound fresh strawberries
Place chicken breast in shallow container; combine 1/2 pineapple juice, toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, cornstarch, and soy sauce in bowl; pour over chicken breast. Place half the rings from the pineapple over the chicken.
Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
Remove chicken and pineapple from marinade and discard marinade; grill or broil chicken breast and pineapple until cooked through (turning as needed). Cook rice as indicated on package. Prepare green beans as indicated on package.
Serve with strawberries for dessert.
Fat: 16.2 g; calories: 523; protein: 23 g
Grams carbohydrate: 60 g
Exchanges: 2.4 lean meat; 2.8 fat; 1.8 vegetable; 1.8 fruit;1.1 bread