For women who are beginning infertility treatment with clomiphene, dosing generally starts either on or near the fifth day of the menstrual cycle. At that point, a daily dose of 50 mg is typically taken for five days. If ovulation does not occur, your healthcare provider may increase your dosage to 100 mg as soon as 30 days after your initial dose. Clomiphene dosing guidelines should be followed closely to help ensure a safe and successful treatment process.
The dose of clomiphene citrate (Clomid®) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Whether clomiphene has been unsuccessful in your previous cycles
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The starting dose of clomiphene is 50 mg once daily for five days, with the following instructions:
- If you have periods, or if your healthcare provider gives you another medication in order for you to have a period, clomiphene should be started on or near the fifth day of your cycle (five days after your period starts). In some cases, your healthcare provider may suggest taking clomiphene earlier in your cycle.
- If you do not have periods (or if you have not had one in a long time), your healthcare provider will instruct you about when to start clomiphene.
- The clomiphene dose can be increased to 100 mg once daily for five days if ovulation does not occur at the lower dose. Your healthcare provider will help you determine if ovulation has occurred (using basal body temperature charting, an ultrasound, or a blood test). You can try this higher dose as soon as 30 days after the first dose (after making sure that you are not pregnant first).
- If ovulation does not occur after three tries with clomiphene (or if ovulation has occurred but you are still not pregnant), you should stop taking the medication and be reevaluated by your healthcare provider. It is not recommended to take doses more than 100 mg per day or to take more that six rounds (cycles) of clomiphene.