As a diabetic, your risks for complications are higher. Although still uncommon, it is more likely for you to have:
• Complications related to high blood pressure during pregnancy and childbirth,
• A larger than average baby,
• A greater probability of having a preterm delivery,
• A reaction to certain drugs used during the delivery
• A delayed healing process or
• A stillbirth or child with a birth defect.
For these reasons, it is important for you to attend all scheduled pre-natal and follow-up appointments. You should let your doctor know right away if you have trouble controlling your blood sugar, or if any of the previously mentioned symptoms develop.
Infections can be a serious problem for people with diabetes. If your doctor thinks you might have an infection, you may need medicine and treatment immediately. Because of the risks involved, it is essential for you to communicate with your health care team so they can minimize any potential problems.